Tuesday, September 1, 2009

power dynamics

waiting to hear back from my advisor is like a test of...ah, screw it.
it just kills.

my anxiety level is sky rocket high, gmail notifier puts me on edge when typically it makes me happy, and...and...and i can't focus on anything but the nun's response.

i feel like i'm waiting for my punishment.
sitting nervously in arraignment, wishing the sentencing would come quick & the pain be even quicker.

this is an unhealthy situation we've got here, people.
and i'm afraid i'm largely responsible for it.
but damn it, the power dynamics--it's all about power & the abuse of it.
wish i had me some power.

i vow never to be this kind of advisor but chances are, i just might...

2 comments:

  1. I love your website. I typed "voodoo doll advisor" on google and it came up. Of course I was not typing it because I have a great relationship with my advisor, you can tell.
    Actually, he is not even my advisor. My advisor is too busy to play his role, so he assigned his over-aged, accomplishmentless, fired-from-industry, and pathetic second researcher.
    Needless to say, we loath each other and he makes my life miserable.
    So, a voodoo doll came to my mind LMAO....
    I have to graduate by December and I am travelling abroad, finding that researchers who are not my advisors and are not involved in my research are more willing to help out.
    Can my thesis say "I want to thank everyone but my supervisor, despite whom I finished my thesis"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. am totally high fiving you.
    i feel your pain, but in a different way.
    press on & save that Acknowledgment for a future book. after the advisor no longer has power in your life:)

    cheering you on towards the finish line!

    ReplyDelete